Take it away, Christine!
MY TOP 5 FAVORITE URBAN FANTASY WORLDS
By Christine Rains
Thanks so much to Amy for having me on her blog today. I'm excited to talk about the worlds in one of my favorite genres: urban fantasy.
There are so many awesome worlds in this genre. Ones that lay secret beneath the mundane world we know, and others that are alternate modern worlds in which our planet had taken a turn for the better... or worse.
1. The Kate Daniels series by Ilona Andrews. Kate kicks butt in a world which has suffered a magical apocalypse. Technology pushed too fast and too far, and magic fought back without mercy. Magic is wild here and it feeds upon technology. It comes and goes with no reason. When the magic leaves, spells fail and tech works again. There are magical hotspots like a whole neighborhood made out of glass which could fall apart at any second. The descriptions of the unusual places in this world are beautiful. This world is unlike any other I've read.
2. The Chess Putman series (a.k.a. the Downside books) by Stacia Kane. This is one of the darkest urban fantasies I've ever read, and no wonder, the world has been taken over by ghosts. The dead attack the living, and only those with certain powers can protect people. Chess is one of those brave souls, but the toll it's taking on her is heavy. She works for the Church of Real Truth, and the real truth is, of course, up to debate! How the ghost apocalypse happened is unknown, but it has turned Earth into a haunted planet.
3. The Dresden Files by Jim Butcher. This is probably one of the most popular urban fantasies in the world. And it's no mystery as to why. The secret magical world Butcher has created is enchanting and frightening. Harry Dresden's home of Chicago is the one we know today, but underneath the layer of the normal everyday stuff lies a massive supernatural world. Vampires, werewolves, fairies, and, of course, wizards. If the rest of our world knew about the horrifying supernatural wars and politics going on, they'd be glad to only have to deal with our human politicians!
4. The Greywalker series by Kat Richardson. Much like the Dresden Files, our modern world hides the supernatural. Harper Blaine is a private investigator, and after a near fatal accident, she can see spirits. Not only that, she can enter the Grey – a realm between ours and the afterlife where all sorts of creepy things reside. There are many other paranormal beings besides ghosts in the series, but it is the mystery of the Grey that fascinates me.
5. The Fever series by Karen Marie Moning. I don't feel like I'm giving away any spoilers because it does say what happens in the books' blurbs, but the change in this everyday world comes during the series. MacKayla “Mac” Lane is a sidhe-seer which allows her to see beyond the realm of Man. Of course, Mac is new to this, and as she battles various forces that want her dead, the barrier between the realms of Man and the Fae come down. There is an epic battle between humans and Fae happening all over the planet. I love seeing the world as we know it change and how people deal with it.
What are your favorite urban fantasy worlds?
About the author: Christine Rains is a writer, blogger, and geek mom. She has four degrees which help not at all with motherhood but make her a great Jeopardy player. She's a proud member of Untethered Realms and S.C.I.F.I. She has several short stories and novellas published, and one urban fantasy novel which puts a twist on supernatural creatures. Monsters live amongst us, and they pay their taxes on time.
Find Christine at: